Chairman of Madang Football Club, Dr Miok Komolong upon receiving the cheque from PNGFA senior vice president, John Wesley Gonjuan, said the assistance was timely and thanked PNGFA for their assistance.“I commend PNG Football Association for the timely assistance and for the mother body to step in is something we value and appreciate very much.“We’re looking forward for our campaign in New Caledonia and to make PNG proud, said Komolong.Gonjuan said the financial assistance is PNGFA’s mission for this year to support clubs participating in the 2017 OFC Champion League challenge.He said the money will go towards assisting the team in their preparation and their stay in New Caledonia.Gonjuan told the players that as sports personnel, they must be role models, promoting good cooperation and positive values when on the field of play.The PNGFA also praised the U-17 side following their historic 2-1 win over Tahiti at the OFC U-17 Championship and hopes their success spur Madang FC and Lae City Dwellers to achieve the same result at the OFC Champions League.Madang is in Group A with host Magenta FC of New Caledonia, AS Central of Tahiti and Lupe Ole Soaga of Samoa.Madang meets AS Central Sports in their opening clash at Stade Numa Daly on February 25.
Photo Getty Images. Caption: Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar Barca are refusing to pay €26million, which was included in the contract extension he signed with the club last October, to the Brazil star and his father.The club say that Neymar was in breach of the terms of that contract when he negotiated with Paris Saint-Germain prior to his world-record €222m transfer, meaning the clause in the deal stipulating the bonus is null and void.Neymar’s father, who also acts as his agent, accused Barca of “blackmail” in their refusal to pay and FIFA is now looking into the matter.A spokesperson from world football’s governing body told Omnisport: “The matter … is pending and being investigated. As a result, we are not in a position to comment on it.”Barca spokesperson Jordi Vives has previously stated: “There were three conditions [to the loyalty bonus]: one, that the player does not negotiate with another club in the last three months before July 31.”Two, that he will express publicly his commitment to fulfil his contract.”Three, the collection was to be made on September 1, to ensure that he did not go to another club.”Now that we know that none of these three conditions were met, we will not honour that bonus.”The complaint is a separate case to Barca’s lawsuit against Neymar, which was announced on Tuesday.The Catalans are suing the 25-year-old for an alleged breach of contract in the wake of his PSG move, demanding he pay back a bonus he was given for signing his new contract last year, as well as €8.5m in damages and an additional 10 per cent in arrears.
Since his election as president of the IAAF last year, Lord Sebastian Coe has called on Gardner to play a key role in setting the future direction of the IAAF. Oceania Athletics Executive Director, Yvonne Mullins, will accompany Gardner to Goroka where they will run multiple Technical Officials Education refresher trainings for technical officials prior to the Championships.Chairman of the local organising committee, Philip Kamane, this week circulated the timetable and competition rules reminding all intending participants that the deadline for entries and payment of fees is September 20.He said Athletics PNG will be firm on its stance that no last minute entries will be permitted.Kamane said provinces who require accommodation should call him on 7262 0907 or email at email@example.com.All entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
This includes the Country week round.In a statement released by the PNGRFL, the 2019 ISC was endorsed at the last CEOs meeting in Brisbane last month.PNGRFL CEO Reatau Rau said the 12 of the 23 ISC matches, including the Round 18 Country Week round this July, will be played here in PNG.The 14 team Intrust Super Cup 2019 competition kicks off on the weekend of March 9 and 10 with the SP Hunters playing Tweed Heads Seagulls away in Piggabeen Sports Complex in Brisbane.Rau said the 1st SP Hunters home game at NFS is on the following Sunday March 17 against Northern Pride, as well as on March 24 against Sunshine Coast Falcons.He said the annual Kokoda Cup against Burleigh Bears during the ANZAC round will be played on April 25 at Pizzey Park in Brisbane.The Stan Joyce Cup played for against Redcliffe Dolphins since 2014 will see the Dolphins out to retain the Cup when they host the SP Hunters at Dolphin Stadium in Round 12 on the 1st of June.The 2nd match will be played in Round 22 on August 25 at the NFS.The annual Air Niugini / Kokoda Cup against Townsville Blackhawks will see two games next season.The SP PNG Hunters will be out to retain the Cup in Round 9 on the 5th of May, in Port Moresby.The 2nd game will be played in Round 19 on the 3rd of August in Townsville.Rau also revealed that the finals format has been changed from six teams to eight teams next season.QRL Major Competition’s manager Dave Maiden said it was shaping up to be another thrilling season.He said changing the finals format from six teams to eight, will keep more fans engaged throughout the season.
Slater, 47, holds the record for being both the youngest and oldest World Championin the men’s ranks.He won his first world title in 1992 at the age of 20 and his last was in 2011.The Piha Pro will be the first time Slater has competed in New Zealand since 1993.The Piha Pro is one stop on the newly-announced WSL Challenger Series which will see more than 100 surfers chasing qualifying for the elite Championship Tour in 2021.”This is a real coup for the Piha Pro. To have the greatest of all time in our first year goes to show how well-regarded Piha is as a surf destination. It gives us a real stamp of credibility and is going to create hype around the sporting community in New Zealand,” said event director Chris Simpson.Slater said he was looking forward to returning to New Zealand.”I’m excited to be surfing again in an event in New Zealand and seeing all my fans there. I love the country and all it has to offer… incredible surf, golf and so much more.The competition will run from March 16th-22nd.
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino is already looking forward to the start of next season and says that playing Newcastle United in their Premier League opener will give the players a little bit of extra motivation.After their trip to St James’ Park on Aug. 12, Tottenham will host champions Chelsea for their first home game at Wembley, which is being used while White Hart Lane undergoes redevelopment, a week later.“We’re starting to prepare the season and we cannot wait to start again,” Pochettino told the club’s website. (www.tottenhamhotspur.com)“This is a moment for our players to enjoy their holidays and try to recharge the batteries but for us, we’re thinking about starting the season in the best condition.“I’m always positive about the fixtures … and we start in Newcastle, that will be exciting because it’s our first game and then our first game at Wembley is against Chelsea, I’m sure the fans will be excited for that as well.”Tottenham’s game against Newcastle gives them the opportunity to avenge their humiliating 5-1 defeat in the final game of the 2015-16 campaign.“Newcastle is another motivation for us. The way that we finished the season before (last) is not too much important now but we’ll have that in our mind to motivate us and we’ll try to win.“Next season will be exciting and to start at St James’ Park will be very motivating for us.”Forward Son Heung-min, who scored 21 goals for the club last season, could miss the first few games of the season after undergoing surgery for a broken arm on Friday.The South Korean fractured his arm in his nation’s 3-2 World Cup qualifier defeat by Qatar on Tuesday and his full recovery could take up to 12 weeks, keeping him out until September, according to a report by Yonhap news agency.
The huge increase in football transfer fees is both dangerous for the game and risks alienating fans, Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness said on Wednesday.The world transfer record was shattered this month when Brazil’s Neymar moved from Barcelona to Paris St Germain in a deal worth 222 million euros, more than double the previous highest price paid for a player.The staggering spending did not stop there, however, and Ousmane Dembele then joined Barca from Borussia Dortmund last week, with the Frenchman’s move costing up to 150 million euros, including bonuses, the second highest deal in football history.Monaco forward Kylian Mbappe has also been linked in the media with a move to PSG in a deal reported to be worth 180 million euros.“In my opinion there is no player in the world worth 100 million euros,” Hoeness told SportBild magazine.“I do not want to buy a player for 100 million euros even if I had the money. That would be too much of a waste of money,” said Hoeness, who reclaimed the Bayern presidency last year after serving a prison term for tax evasion.The Bavarians, five-time European champions, are among the richest soccer clubs in the world with an annual turnover of more than half a billion euros and a fixed deposit account bulging with almost 200 million euros.“We have reached a point where we have to be damned careful. Because there is a point where maybe the fan has had enough,” he added.“In all honesty, it is time to go back to proportionality. For a long time there was fear of agents, of players etc. Now we have to say ‘enough is enough’.”Bayern broke their own club transfer record this summer when they signed 23-year-old Frenchman Corentin Tolisso for 41.5 million euros.The club’s CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has also criticised inflated transfer fees, saying he would prefer a stadium to signing Neymar for the amount PSG paid for him.German national team manager Oliver Bierhoff said big transfers were always part of the game and will continue to be, adding the Neymar transfer triggered Dembele’s move to Spain and brought 150 million euros in revenues for a German club.“High sums of money will always be part of this, spectacular transfers will always be there,” Bierhoff told reporters.“This attack on commerce is a bit too simple. It has to be more differentiated. (Bayern Munich’s) Allianz Arena was created through commerce and has been sold out since the start.“I don’t know if it is bad. It needs a more differentiated view.”
A late goal by Marcos Rojo gave Argentina a dramatic 2-1 victory over Nigeria in Group D on Tuesday and sent the twice champions through to the knockout stages of the World Cup.Lionel Messi scored his first goal of the tournament in the 14th minute with an expertly taken shot.However, Nigeria were level six minutes after the restart, when Javier Mascherano fouled Leon Balogun in the area and Victor Moses stepped up to slot the resulting penalty past Franco Armani.With the game ebbing away from Argentina, Gabriel Mercado crossed from the right in the 86th minute and Rojo turned the ball into the goal with a first time strike to spark wild celebrations from the Argentines.Argentina face France in the last 16 after finishing second in the group, while Croatia take on Group C runners-up Denmark.Iceland’s first World Cup adventure came to a valiant end as they were beaten 2-1 by Group D winners Croatia due to a late strike from Ivan Perisic.Iceland missed a flurry of early chances but went behind in the second half to a lethal strike from Croatia midfielder Milan Badelj, although Gylfi Sigurdsson levelled from the penalty spot in the 76th minute to set up an enthralling finish.Argentina’s 2-1 win over Nigeria meant Iceland would have qualified with a victory but instead their hearts sank when Perisic smashed into the far corner in the 90th minute.Iceland, the smallest ever nation to compete at a World Cup, are heading home with one point from their tournament debut but will still leave Russia with their heads held high.
An outbreak of equine flu has forced the cancellation of all British racing on Thursday – and the British Horseracing Authority is set to decide in the coming hours how long the shutdown must last.The BHA made the decision to cancel all Thursday’s cards on Wednesday night after the Animal Health Trust confirmed three positive tests from vaccinated horses in an active racing yard.In an initial statement, the BHA reported horses from the infected yard raced on Wednesday at Ayr and Ludlow, adding identification of the virus in vaccinated animals presented a “cause for significant concern”.Donald McCain’s yard was the only one represented at both tracks.In an update on Thursday morning, the governing body added: “We will endeavour to issue regular information, but we are still in the early stages of assessing the scale and severity of the outbreak.“We are working quickly to identify the extent of the infection and will have more information when further test results are returned today. The results from those tests will not be known until this evening.“Following these results being known, a call will be convened to discuss the implications, and a decision will then be made as to the impact on racing in the coming days.“We are aware that people want to know the situation as regards racing tomorrow and this weekend, and we will seek to provide more clarity as soon as we are able. It is likely that any definitive decisions on whether racing can take place tomorrow will be taken later this evening.”The BHA said in its previous statement: “The action to cancel racing has been viewed as necessary in order to restrict, as far as possible, the risk of further spread of the disease.“The BHA has worked quickly to identify which yards could have potentially been exposed today and identify the further actions required.”Thursday’s cancellations come less than five weeks before the start of this year’s Cheltenham Festival – the annual highlight of the National Hunt calendar.Inevitably, until the situation becomes clearer, for thousands of racing followers – and of course those directly involved in the industry – there will be uncomfortable echoes of the foot-and-mouth crises of 1967 and 2001.On each occasion, the racing calendar was affected for two months – and in 2001, the Cheltenham Festival was abandoned.In the immediate future on this occasion, a packed weekend of Cheltenham trials and other big races is scheduled at Newbury, Warwick, Musselburgh and in Ireland.The governing body’s statement added: “The BHA is presently communicating with yards potentially exposed to ensure appropriate quarantine and biosecurity measures are put in place and horse movements restricted to avoid possible further spread of the disease.“The full extent of potential exposure is unknown, and we are working quickly to understand as much as we can to assist our decision-making.”The action to cancel Thursday’s races was taken with unanimous support of the BHA’s industry veterinary committee and will affect meetings at Huntingdon, Doncaster, Ffos Las and Chelmsford.Racing was, however, set to go ahead in Ireland at Thurles on Thursday.An update on the track’s official Twitter account read: “Racing goes ahead as planned here today. First race off at 1:15.”Equine influenza is a highly infectious disease of horses, mules and donkeys. Symptoms in non-immune animals include high fever, coughing and nasal discharge.
Gareth Southgate believes England’s frontline is as exciting as any other in the world.World Cup Golden Boot winner Harry Kane grabbed a hat-trick in Saturday’s 4-0 victory over Bulgaria to move him past Stan Mortensen and Sir Geoff Hurst in the Three Lions’ all-time scoring ranks.The England skipper not only has 25 goals from 40 international appearances but is complemented by the likes of Raheem Sterling and Marcus Rashford, with teenagers Jadon Sancho and Callum Hudson-Odoi knocking on Southgate’s door.“I think that they’re as exciting as anything, really,” Southgate said of his attacking unit.“I remember going to Spain and thinking ‘well, a really tough game, but actually you look at our front three and their front three on the night and I felt that we were strong’.“And I’ve got to say, we’ve got Sancho and Hudson-Odoi who are going to push, and really push, so I think that it is exciting.“You need to have players on the field to affect the games, but you need to have players that can come in and have an impact and I think we’re in a healthy position.”Asked if the players are beginning to recognise they have the potential to be the best, Southgate said: “It’s an interesting comment. I think they have great humility.“I think they possibly don’t, because they sometimes don’t view themselves as others do.“We’ve also got to remember that as a coaching team. Very often you work with the team and it’s easy to find what they can’t do well.“I think whenever we’re judging games, all of us look at what hasn’t gone well and sometimes we can overlook the brilliant things that they do, that maybe other countries don’t have.”Southgate’s front three on Saturday worked well together thanks to their “balance of speed, intelligent movement”, unselfishness and work-rate.Having an out-and-out goalscorer at the top is another big help, with 26-year-old Kane already well on the way to breaking Wayne Rooney’s all-time England scoring record of 53.“I think it will just be about fitness and avoiding lengthy injuries – things that are out of your control – but I would think everything else is there to really challenge it,” Southgate said.“The reality of that is that there’s a reason that only Bobby (Charlton) and Gary (Lineker) and Wayne have got there, because it’s such a hard challenge to stay fit, the number-one choice, focused, motivated for the long period that you need to be able to get the games and to get those goals.“But if anybody has that strength of mentality, for sure it’s Harry.”While the attack is becoming an increasingly exciting component, a midfield balance has yet to be achieved.Southgate believes the change to a midfield three is helping to solve the issue of injecting creativity on top of a defensive platform, although there is no clear Luka Modric or Frenkie De Jong type of player.There is, though, talent coming through. Mason Mount is looking to push on after his debut on Saturday, while James Maddison is hoping to win his first cap in Tuesday’s Euro 2020 qualifier against Kosovo.“There’s Phil Foden as well underneath that,” Southgate said.“There are different profiles of players that come through our academies, and some that have been playing number 10 earlier in their careers, or wingers – Ox (Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain), (Ross) Barkley – that are giving us different opportunities.“We’ve got Ruben (Loftus-Cheek) as well who is out injured, so there are lots of options.“We never have them all fit at the same time, so it’s quite an interesting… I mean I watched the Dutch, they never seem to change their bloody team. I don’t get it. They never have an injury. I don’t know how that happens.“But, yes, we’ve got strength in depth and real competition, so I think we’re fascinated to see who’s going to progress and who’s going to nail those places down.”