But to show that it was serious about the possibility of a strike, the union’s biggest bargaining chip, workers collected 50,000 signatures from shoppers who pledged to honor picket lines. Members overwhelmingly voted to authorize leaders to call for a strike, union leaders got the backing of delivery truck drivers and financial pledges from fellow unions. The union’s old contract expired March 5 and was extended twice during talks. Bargaining dragged on six months, with both sides accusing the other of stalling. Talks became so contentious that a federal mediator was called in to oversee the process. The union walked away from the process at least twice and authorized strikes against all three chains. In retaliation, the supermarkets pledged to lockout all employees if just one of them was struck. email@example.com (818) 713-3735 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Three years after grocery workers settled for what they considered a subpar contract following a grueling strike, three chain supermarkets offered them raises and better health care, union officials said tonight. Some 70,000 union members must approve the contract with Vons, Ralphs, and Albertsons by a majority vote, which is planned for Sunday and Monday. Union leaders are recommending ratification. “We are very happy with the contract,” said Rick Icaza, president of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 770. “I’ll be surprised if it isn’t approved.” Icaza declined to provide details of the offer, but earlier said both sides agreed to eliminate a two-tier system that gives richer benefits to new hires. A union Web site, www.respectufcw.com, said the settlement was “a fair contract that includes wage increases and significantly improves health care coverage.” Adena Tessler, a spokeswoman for the markets, declined to comment. A settlement was held up in recent days by a “snag” over how to fund worker health care, the biggest threat to reaching a deal without a strike or lockout. A strike was avoided because both the union and chains remembered the huge losses they incurred during the 2003-2004 strike, said Jack Kyser, chief economist at the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. Many workers never recovered and the chains lost an estimated $2 billion. “I think that tempered the approach of both sides,” Kyser said. Ultimately, neither party wanted to repeat the strike that lasted 4.5 months, one of the longest in history.
England Women’s midfielder Katie Chapman 1 England Women’s star Katie Chapman has told talkSPORT it’s a “dream come true” for the Lionesses to get to the semi-finals for the first time in her final World Cup.Mark Sampson’s side beat tournament hosts Canada 2-1 at the weekend to set up a meeting with defending champions Japan for a place in the final on Wednesday.It’s been a great competition for the England team, who previously came from behind to beat former winners Norway and seal their first ever knockout stage victory.And Chapman, who captains current Women’s Super League leaders Chelsea, claims the highs of this World Cup have been the greatest of the team’s careers.“It’s an unbelievable feeling,” she told Drivetime. “For a lot of us it was the biggest moment of our careers, so far.“A lot of us have played for England for many, many years, so it was a dream come true to get through to the semi-finals.“It’s my last World Cup too, so words can’t explain it, it’s a fantastic feeling.”Chapman is hoping the Lionesses’ run in the tournament will boost support in the Women’s game back in England when they return for next season, which kicks off again in July.The midfielder, and mother of three, added: “I hope our run in the World Cup can play a massive part. The publicity we’ve had and the support we’ve had from back home has been outstanding.“Hopefully when we do get back that will continue and we’ll see more fans coming to watch WSL games. It’s a great league to come and watch and hopefully the tournament has shown what women’s football is all about.”
The heatwave across Donegal must be going to the heads of the sales team down at JJ Reid Motors in Letterkenny.The company already have a great name for driving the best bargains in new and used cars. The free alloys!But now their car sale has gone up a gear.Buy this 2012 Jetta, 1.6 TDI before 20th June which is this Friday and you will receive a FREE set of 16” Alloys on the vehicle.Remember you must have the deal done before Friday 20th.Call in today for a look at the spotless car, agree a deal and the alloys will be yours for FREE! JJ REID MOTORS IS GIVING AWAY FREE ALLOYS! was last modified: June 17th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:free alloysJJ Reid Motorsletterkenny
Arsene Wenger insists his team selection will always reflect what is best for Arsenal.The Gunners boss has been picking two different sides to compete in the Premier League and Europa League so far this season.The likes of Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott, Olivier Giroud and Mohamed Elneny have mostly featured in Europe but been left on the sidelines in the battle for a top four finish in the league.Wilshere, Walcott and Giroud have all spoken about their frustration at a lack of game time in the Premier League – with France striker Giroud currently being picked for his country as the England duo look like missing out on the World Cup at this moment.But even Giroud, who is yet to start a league game this season, has been warned by Les Bleus assistant manager Guy Stephan that he needs to play more – even if Wenger feels the 31-year-old has had ample opportunity so far this campaign.“They have to make their decisions, I have to make mine,” Wenger said of international managers.“I cannot consider too much the interest of the national team, even if I support France. I can only play with 11 players and the players have to deal with that and so do I.“Overall I try to give them competition, which is what they have had until now. But these are discussions I have had with the players. It’s part of it.”Wenger has been able to keep everyone relatively involved in first team matters due to Europa League commitments.But that will change after Thursday’s final Group H game at home to BATE Borisov as, with Arsenal already assured of progressing as group winners, the competition will not be back on the calendar until February.“It is anyway difficult to keep them happy,” Wenger said when asked if it would be more difficult to do so with a lack of European games in the coming months.“You cannot keep players happy, but they deal well with it and it’s a problem we all have to deal with.“As a player, they fight and I must say this is a job where you always have to be ready. When you are called up you have to be ready.“Some manage to do it, some not. In the squad, this season more than ever, I cannot see a weakness in anyone’s motivation and quality in training.“That doesn’t mean that the players who do not play, you respect them less. You respect people through their attitude and their attitude is fantastic.” 1 Arsene Wenger
Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars gameday cracker 2 shining Krul, 31, instead chose to join the Canaries… and it proved to be the correct decision.The glovesman has played every second of Norwich’s successful 2018/19 campaign, which has seen the Carrow Road club secure promotion back to the Premier League. They only have to avoid defeat in their final match of the season to guarantee going up as second division champions, ahead of runners-up Sheffield United. Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Tim Krul moved to Norwich instead of Chelsea Chelsea signed Robert Green instead but he has not played tense Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Krul, who also played for Brighton and AZ Alkmaar, explained his reason for spurning Chelsea.“I wanted to prove the opposite to everyone who had already written off me in the Netherlands.” no dice Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Man United transfer news live: Haaland ‘wants a change’, two players off in January deals Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card LATEST PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT 2 Norwich City goalkeeper Tim Krul rejected the chance to sign for Chelsea last summer, opting for a move to the Championship instead.The former Newcastle shot-stopper was not keen on a move to Stamford Bridge as he did not want to spend his time there on the bench, according to Dutch outlet Voetbal Zone. Having missed out on the eight-cap former Netherlands international, Chelsea instead signed Robert Green – once of Norwich – to be their third choice keeper, behind Kepa Arizzabalaga and Willy Calballero.Green, 39, has not played a single minute of first-team football this campaign in any competition. REVEALED REVEALED Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? getty huge blow
Share This!Over the past few years, Star Tours – The Adventures Continue has seen updates with each new recent Star Wars film. We’ve gone to Jakku, Crait, Batuu, and soon, we’ll be heading to Kef Bir. Don’t know what Kef Bir is? Well, it’s a brand new ocean moon that will be featured in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. You may have even caught a glimpse of it in the trailer that was released this week.Well, beginning December 20, passengers who board the Starspeeder 1000 will be able to experience this new destination based on the latest episode of the Star Wars saga. This new location will be updated at Disneyland, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disneyland.Who else is excited ride on Star Tours – The Adventures Continue to be able to visit Kef Bir?
Amazon is preparing to open Amazon Go supermarkets and pop-up stores, an expansion of the company’s cashierless ambitions that includes the possibility of licensing the technology to other retailers.The new store formats and licensing initiative could launch as soon as the first quarter of 2020, according to a person familiar with the project. Amazon (No. 1 in the Internet Retailer 2019 Top 500) is testing a supermarket equipped with Go technology in a 10,400-square-foot retail space in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood.The Go expansion is the e-commerce giant’s latest attempt to compete in the $900 billion US grocery industry and perhaps other areas of retail… Digital Commerce 360- Sponsor – Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
In 1859, a massive solar flare bombarded Earth with so much energy that telegraph wires burst into flames, and stunning auroras could be seen as far south as Cuba and Hawaii. Such a powerful event would likely be devastating for our modern world, with the potential to knock out satellites, electrical grids, and technology worldwide. But when can we expect the next superflare? Astronomers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts, studied 84 sunlike stars and observed 29 of these supersized solar flares over a 4-year period to find out how often they occur. Good news! A star like our sun will probably experience such an extreme flare only once every 250 to 480 years—astronomers say 350 years is the most likely scenario. The team presented its findings in a poster at the International Astronomical Union General Assembly in Honolulu this month. Just how “super” is a superflare? The eruptions the team studied to make their prediction were 150 times more powerful than an average flare and at least 10 times more powerful than a 1989 flare that knocked out power to the entire province of Quebec, Canada.
RJ Barrett poses for selfies with fans after he was selected by the New York Knicks at the NBA basketball draft Thursday, June 20, 2019, in New York. Barrett was selected third overall. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)NEW YORK — Canada’s basketball celebration keeps on going.Six Canadians were drafted Thursday night, setting the record for a country other than the U.S.ADVERTISEMENT DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport MOST READ LATEST STORIES A week after the Toronto Raptors won the nation’s first NBA championship, Canadians RJ Barrett, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Brandon Clarke, Mfiondu Kabengele, Ignas Brazdeikis and Marial Shayok were drafted.“It’s amazing to be Canadian,” said Barrett, who went third overall to the New York Knicks. “We take a lot of pride. That’s why I’ve got my Canadian flags on this side of my jacket. To put it on for our country, that means a lot.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsFrance had five players selected in 2016.“To see players come out of (Canada) and be very good is something that’s awesome,” said Clarke, who went 21st to the Oklahoma City Thunder. “I’m somebody who grew up watching (Steve) Nash play and I always thought it was really cool he was from Canada.” ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP The players selected — four in the first round — join the 13 active Canadian players in the NBA. Among them include former No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins, NBA champion Tristan Thompson, Jamal Murray, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Tyler Ennis.“I know guys like Andrew Wiggins and Tyler Ennis gave me hope,” said Alexander-Walker, the 17th pick by the New Orleans Pelicans. “Now as RJ got selected. I got selected. Hopefully more Canadians who get selected can kind of give those kids and other generations hope.”Clarke, who played at Gonzaga, said the Raptors’ championship will help the growth of basketball in Canada.“Basketball is getting bigger and bigger and it’s gotten much bigger, too, in Canada,” Clarke said. “It’s just been really fun to watch the evolution of basketball in the country.”Former Canadian players include 2018 Hall of Fame inductee Nash — who is Barrett’s godfather — former No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett and three-time NBA champion Rick Fox.ADVERTISEMENT Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Huge Toronto crowd celebrates Raptors’ historic win PLAY LIST 01:08Huge Toronto crowd celebrates Raptors’ historic win00:50Trending Articles01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Ashleigh Barty gets shot at world no. 1 after Naomi Osaka bows out The previous record for the most Canadians chosen in a single draft was in 2014, when four were picked. From 1983-2009, a total of just nine were selected.“It feels great,” Barrett said. “Canadian basketball is really on the rise.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has ruled out signing a defensive midfielder before the transfer window shuts, saying he is happy with his options.The Gunners have been criticised by pundits and some fans for not buying another holding midfielder to support Francis Coquelin, who broke into the first team last season after being recalled from a loan spell with second tier side Charlton Athletic.The only competition for Coquelin is captain Mikel Arteta, 33, who has just returned from a calf injury after six months out, and an aging Mathieu Flamini, who has only one year left on his contract.”Everybody has their opinion and everybody is entitled to have an opinion. I could prove to you that it’s not necessarily right,” Wenger was quoted as saying by the club’s website (www.arsenal.com) when asked about the need for more ‘powerful’ midfielders by reporters.Also read: Chelsea manager Mourinho compares Pedro to Maradona”When you don’t win, you’re wrong and people always find reasons why. Are they the good reasons?”I think I have enough experience and intelligence to know when it’s right and when it’s wrong,” added the club’s longest-serving manager.Arsenal are still waiting for their first home win of the season after being held by Liverpool in Monday’s entertaining goalless draw following the opening day shock 2-0 defeat by West Ham United.The hosts were unlucky not to take an early lead when Aaron Ramsey’s effort was ruled out for offside in the eighth minute, although Liverpool were equally unfortunate not be out of sight by halftime.advertisementNew signing Petr Cech saved a Christian Benteke strike from point-blank range, while Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho also struck the woodwork twice.Wenger was disappointed that Ramsey’s goal was disallowed.”It was a regular goal. It was a period of the game where we maybe had the most problems defensively but it’s a regular goal,” the 65-year-old said.”I can’t see why it was cancelled. It’s clear and on that front you cannot say that Liverpool can complain,” the Frenchman added.Wenger also conceded that his club have not been up top scratch this season after collecting just four points from their first three Premier League fixtures.”We have started very average I must concede sharpness is missing a little bit in some players,” the former Monaco manager said.”Our game is still not fluent enough in the final third.